Grays of Westminster presents
The Definitive Micro & Macro Photography Workshop by Simon Stafford
Fitzroy House, 37 Fitzroy Street, London W1T 6DX
Saturday, June 22nd, 2013
2.00 p.m. until 5.30 p.m.
Simon Stafford’s photographic seminars & workshops presented in association with Grays of Westminster have proved to be hugely popular and in response to high demand, he has developed this practical workshop dedicated to close-up and macro photography.
Regardless of whether you are a complete newcomer to the Lilliputian world of close-up photography or a seasoned exponent, this event has been prepared to help you make a dramatic improvement to the quality of your close-up pictures, by mastering core skills and creative techniques. Simon will discuss the critical importance of understanding and controlling light, plus there will be the opportunity to use a variety of lighting equipment, including the Nikon R1C1 Macro Speedlight kit.
You will learn how to achieve high-quality pictures by applying sound camera technique and developing a consistent methodology. Simon will share his in-depth knowledge and 30 years of photographic experience, so that you can achieve professional looking results reliably (please note attendance of one of Simon’s previous seminars, or workshops is not a prerequisite of this event).
Part one: Camera skills
- Understanding reproduction ratios and subject magnification
- Appreciate the influence of working distance and diffraction
- Choosing and using lenses for close focusing
- Using lens accessories for close focusing
- Filters for close-up photography
- Selecting camera/lens support systems
- Achieving accurate exposure at a close focus distance
- Learn how to interpret the digital histogram display
Part two: Shooting skills
- Best practice in camera handling
- The pros and cons of AF and Vibration Reduction
- Focusing techniques for close-up photography
- Understanding and using depth-of-field
- Selecting viewpoint and perspective
- Honing composition skills
- The importance of backgrounds
- Creative techniques with focus, white balance and multiple exposure
Part three: Lighting for Micro & Macro Photography
- Working with and controlling available light
- Flash equipment and its application for close-up photography
- Specialised lighting techniques
- Choosing lighting equipment and accessories
Please note there will be ample opportunity to ask questions throughout the event, and Simon will demonstrate some of the tips and techniques he discusses.
- “Your workshop was very interesting; thank you also for answering so many of my questions and being so helpful.” RB
- “Thank you for a very interesting and also thoroughly enjoyable session. I now need to go out and try some of the techniques!” CR
- “I thoroughly enjoyed the workshop and learned so much not only about close-up photography, but also many points that have increased my knowledge and confidence in using my camera to its fullest extent, and improving my use of flash equipment; altogether a very satisfying day.” AJ
- “Your very helpful course was the catalyst to inspire me to get busy with my camera, thank you again.” PW
Since this is a practical workshop each delegate should bring a Nikon body together with a lens or lenses to work with during the event.
The session will take place from 2.00 p.m. until 5.30 p.m. and includes mid-afternoon tea and biscuits.
The cost of the session will be £155 with a special price of £95 if you are a current Nikon Owner subscriber. To book, please email me with your full name, Nikon Owner user name/membership number, daytime mobile and landline. There are very limited places available, so please reply as soon as you are able to in order to avoid disappointment. If you are not currently a subscriber, you are welcome to join or re-join whilst booking the workshop with me to receive the discount on the session.
Please note that it is essential that you reply by email rather than by telephone and to this address:
Travelling to Fitzroy House, 37 Fitzroy Street, London W1T 6DX: the nearest underground station is Warren Street, but please do make sure that it is open – it is occasionally closed on a Saturday – if so, Goodge Street station is a good option.
About Nikon Owner
Standard Annual Subscription – normal price: £69; special price: £59 while registering for this course
- 1-year Subscription to Nikon Owner + 3-year warranty on all new Nikon products from Grays of Westminster
- Nikon Owner magazine, a superb, glossy full-colour 60-page quarterly magazine that is 100% Nikon. Each issue delivers benchmark technical reviews of the very latest Nikon equipment, thought-provoking interviews and articles with world-class images. All back issues are now available on line as PDFs.
- Private user-name and password to subscribers-only website
- Simon Stafford’s Technical Helpline
- 18-month warranty on second-hand Nikon from Grays of Westminster
- 10% off Think Tank bags purchased at Grays of Westminster
- Special trips and events
- Discounts on events and training sessions
Gold subscription: – special price £290 when registering for this course
- 3-year subscription to Nikon Owner
- 5-year warranty on all new Nikon products from Grays of Westminster
- 2-year warranty on second-hand Nikon from Grays of Westminster
- Gold Priority waiting list for all new Nikon releases (top of the waiting list)
- A half-hour tutorial on the phone or face to face, by appointment
- Special offers to Gold subscribers throughout the period of subscription
- A signed copy of Heather Angel’s Wild Kew while stocks last or a Simon Stafford Nikon Magic Lantern Guide of your choice.
- Nikon Owner quarterly magazine as above
- Private user-name and password to the subscribers-only website which includes a forum, message board, technical equipment reviews, events page and use of a photo gallery
- Simon Stafford’s Technical Helpline
- 15% off Think Tank bags purchased at Grays of Westminster
- Special trips and events
- Substantial discounts on training sessions organised by Grays of Westminster, including Mike Maloney’s Workshops, Heather Angel’s Wildlife & Natural History Workshops, Simon Stafford’s Definitive Flash, Portraiture and Macro Training Sessions, Michael Eleftheriades’ panoramic and colour-calibration seminars and Chris Weston’s Photographic Courses.
Please note that once you have booked a place on any workshop or seminar, a full refund can only be provided when you give us 7 days prior notice of cancelling your place.
With very best wishes
Features Editor and Events & Training Coordinator
Grays of Westminster
40 Churton Street,
SW1V 2LP, UK
Tel: +44 (0)20 7828 4925
Fax: +44 (0)20 7976 5783
Open Monday to Friday 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. & Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. We are closed on Public and Bank Holidays.