A Practical Workshop by Simon Stafford
Venue: Fitzroy House, 37 Fitzroy Street, London, W1T 6DX
Time: 2:00 pm to 5:30 pm, Saturday, 6th July 2013
Simon Stafford’s photographic seminars & workshops presented in association with Grays of Westminster have proved to be extremely popular and he has developed this highly practical workshop dedicated to flash photography.
Nikon’s Creative Lighting System (CLS) offers a level of flexibility and control that provides a huge range of creative possibilities for flash photography.
During the workshop Simon will share his in-depth knowledge of the CLS and 30 years of photographic experience, with the emphasis on helping delegates practice applying settings their own Nikon camera and flash unit(s) and taking pictures to enable them to achieve professional looking results.
Using a minimum of equipment Simon will concentrate on demonstrating the use of off-camera flash for both studio and portable on-location lighting. He will lead you through a variety of lighting set-ups for both indoor and outdoor portraits, plus tabletop still life subjects using live displays, so you will be able to observe first-hand how to improve your lighting techniques.
Since this is a practical workshop please ensure you bring a camera/lens and Nikon Speedlight, so you can follow Simon as he explains how to configure the equipment and benefit from his guidance as you shoot pictures with it.
Please note that attendance of any of Simon’s previous flash photography events is not a prerequisite of this workshop.
Session 1: Understanding your Nikon Speedlight
Understanding a tool is essential if it is to be used effectively! In this session Simon will cover the camera and Speedlight settings essential for attaining consistent and reliable results with flash.
- The pros and cons of TTL and Manual flash exposure control
- Understand how your camera’s TTL metering manages flash exposure and learn how to adjust flash output level for creative effect
- Discover how to mix light from your flash with ambient light for more balanced, natural lighting effects, including use of the Auto FP High–Speed sync mode
- Find out how to use the FV Lock feature for accurate and consistent flash exposures
Session 2: Working with one Speedlight
Working with a single flash does not have to be a recipe for harsh, unflattering and uncompromising lighting! Regardless of whether you use flash indoors or outdoors, the simplest and most effective way to improve lighting with flash is to move the Speedlight off the camera, to give you complete control over the quality and direction of the light. Simon will:
- Explain how to set up your camera and flash for outdoor fill-flash and demonstrate use of light modifiers to improve the quality of lighting
- Show a range of lighting accessories to enhance the quality of the light for shooting with flash indoors
- Guide and advise you as you make use of the various tools and techniques using your own camera and Speedlight, together with lighting accessories that will be available on the day.
Session 3: Working with two or more Speedlights
Using a single flash offers plenty of opportunities but adding a second, or even third Speedlight will increase options and elevate the lighting possibilities to a greater level. The capabilities of the Nikon Advanced Wireless Lighting (AWL) system make working with multiple flash units highly practical for both studio and location lighting. Simon will guide you through an easy to follow overview of the AWL, and how to use its component parts, followed by live demonstrations in which you can explore its capabilities.
He will also look at alternative methods of remote flash control, in particular the Pocket Wizard system, using the Mini TT1, Flex TT5 and AC-3 equipment, which he will demonstrate, before giving you the opportunity to use it on location.
- Configure and control Speedlights as part of a wireless lighting set up using both the Nikon AWL system and Pocket Wizard radio control equipment
- Understand where and how to position a flash unit as a key (main) light, fill-light, or effect light and apply light modifying accessories to improve the colour, direction and quality of the lighting
- Use lighting ratios for creative off–camera lighting on both your subject and background
“Thank you for your very instructive and intuitive session… it was very ‘illuminating’ both in its content and your very ‘hands-on’ delivery.” TG
“I found the session extremely useful – possibly the best ever – and excellent value! I would certainly recommend it to friends and colleagues.” MA
“Where Simon scores for me is not so much in the area of ‘how-to’ but in the ‘why’ things operate in the way they do… in short, a seriously excellent day.” JB
“It was a very enjoyable afternoon, thank you. It was pitched at just the right level for me. You covered a very complex subject in a logical and simple way; you obviously put a lot of effort into preparation.” G P-E
“I very much enjoyed the seminar and your professionalism and depth of knowledge.” WW
Booking details: important
The cost of the session will be £155 with a special price of £95 if you are a current Nikon Owner subscriber. To book, please email me with your full name, Nikon Owner user name/membership number, daytime mobile and landline. There are very limited places available, so please reply as soon as you are able to in order to avoid disappointment. If you are not currently a subscriber, you are welcome to join or re-join whilst booking the workshop with me to receive the discount on the session. The session will take place from 2.00 p.m. until 5.30 p.m. and includes mid-afternoon tea and biscuits.
Please note that it is essential that you reply by email rather than by telephone and to this address:
Travelling to Fitzroy House, 37 Fitzroy Street, London W1T 6DX: the nearest underground station is Warren Street, but please do make sure that it is open – it is occasionally closed on a Saturday – if so, Goodge Street station is a good option.
About Nikon Owner
Standard Annual Subscription – normal price: £69; special price: £59 while registering for this course
- 1-year Subscription to Nikon Owner + 3-year warranty on all new Nikon products from Grays of Westminster
- Nikon Owner magazine, a superb, glossy full-colour 60-page quarterly magazine that is 100% Nikon. Each issue delivers benchmark technical reviews of the very latest Nikon equipment, thought-provoking interviews and articles with world-class images. All back issues are now available on line as PDFs.
- Private user-name and password to subscribers-only website
- Simon Stafford’s Technical Helpline
- 18-month warranty on second-hand Nikon from Grays of Westminster
- 10% off Think Tank bags purchased at Grays of Westminster
- Special trips and events
- Discounts on events and training sessions
Gold subscription: – special price £290 when registering for this course
- 3-year subscription to Nikon Owner
- 5-year warranty on all new Nikon products from Grays of Westminster
- 2-year warranty on second-hand Nikon from Grays of Westminster
- Gold Priority waiting list for all new Nikon releases (top of the waiting list)
- A half-hour tutorial on the phone or face to face, by appointment
- Special offers to Gold subscribers throughout the period of subscription
- A signed copy of Heather Angel’s Wild Kew while stocks last or a Simon Stafford Nikon Magic Lantern Guide of your choice.
- Nikon Owner quarterly magazine as above
- Private user-name and password to the subscribers-only website which includes a forum, message board, technical equipment reviews, events page and use of a photo gallery
- Simon Stafford’s Technical Helpline
- 15% off Think Tank bags purchased at Grays of Westminster
- Special trips and events
- Substantial discounts on training sessions organised by Grays of Westminster, including Mike Maloney’s Workshops, Heather Angel’s Wildlife & Natural History Workshops, Simon Stafford’s Definitive Flash, Portraiture and Macro Training Sessions, Michael Eleftheriades’ panoramic and colour-calibration seminars and Chris Weston’s Photographic Courses.
Please note that once you have booked a place on any workshop or seminar, a full refund can only be provided when you give us 7 days prior notice of cancelling your place.
With very best wishes
Features Editor and Events & Training Coordinator
Grays of Westminster
40 Churton Street,
SW1V 2LP, UK
Tel: +44 (0)20 7828 4925
Fax: +44 (0)20 7976 5783
Open Monday to Friday 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. & Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. We are closed on Public and Bank Holidays.