The Definitive Panoramic Workshop by Michael Eleftheriades
Saturday, February 26th, 2011
Following on from Michael Eleftheriades’ very popular Definitive Panoramic Seminar (October 2010), Grays of Westminster is delighted to announce the Definitive Practical Panoramic Workshop on Saturday, February 26th, 2011. Whilst the first seminar provided a general overview, the second workshop will go through the practical processes in detail and is aimed at all photographers who are interested in improving their practical skills in shooting panoramas.
Photographers are welcome to bring their own laptops (either Mac or PC) so they can follow the tutorials. A list of recommended software and demo files will be sent via email to all attendees a week before the workshop. As a minimum requirement, attendees should have a recent copy of Adobe Photoshop or Photoshop Elements installed.
We are also pleased to announce that 360Precision has donated two Atome heads for this event, worth over £200 each. The Atome is a lightweight and compact head which is ideally suited to hiking, travel or back-packing. The draw for the two Atomes will take place at the end of the workshop.
This panoramic workshop will be held in central London, at Fitzroy House, 37 Fitzroy Street, London W1T 6DX.
The cost of the session will be £155 with a special price of £95 if you are a current Nikon Owner subscriber. To book, please email your full name, daytime mobile and landline to Gillian Greenwood at: email@example.com or call between 12.00 p.m. and 5.30 p.m. Monday to Friday on 020 7828 4925 – for International calls telephone + 44 (0)20 7828 4925 – and ask to speak to Gillian Greenwood or Katrin Ruckert. There are limited places available, so please book as soon as you are able to, in order to avoid disappointment.
Panoramic Workshop Agenda
The aim of the workshop is to give attendees first-hand experience in setting up their equipment, shooting successfully in demanding environments, and guidance in the post production and final output of panoramic files for the web and mobile devices.
Part 1: The General Principles
- Panoramic theory & principles
- Selecting the right camera and lenses
- Finding the lens nodal point
- How to set the exposure
- White Balance Tools
Part 2: Shooting Planar Panoramas
- Benefits & How To Shoot
- Using Tilt & Shift lenses
Part 3: Shooting Cylindrical Panoramas
- Benefits & How To Shoot
- Image processing
- Stitching using Photoshop and more advanced tools
- Photographing in public spaces (dealing with movement)
- Printing Considerations
Part 4: Shooting Spherical Panoramas
- Benefits & How To Shoot
- Stitching using advanced tools
- Creating the illusion (capping the nadir)
- Creating photospheres
- Publishing on the web (virtual tours)
- Playback on portable devices
Part 5: Panorama showcase
- Examples of recent work, including panoramas from Japan, Thailand and Cambodia.
About Michael Eleftheriades
A Nikon Owner subscriber since 2002, Michael is an architect and photographer who fuses his particular passion for architecture, virtual reality, computer graphics and photography in the creation of large-scale panoramic imagery.
Michael had been photographing virtual reality scenes using Nikon film cameras since 1986, and subsequently moved into digital usage and implementation with the launch of Nikon’s Coolpix range in 1998.
He has exhibited his photographs at three exhibitions in London and lectured on panoramic creation to wide acclaim in the UK, Europe and the United States. When not photographing, Michael directs the efforts of Media Synthesis, a media development and consultancy company established in 1993, and is responsible for virtual reality tours and interactive exhibits at many of the UK’s leading museums, including the Maritime and Natural History Museums.
Michael has recently created the virtual tour for Grays of Westminster and has been the Nikon Owner London Group coordinator for the last two years.
Comments from the attendees of his Panoramic Seminars at Nikon UK
Thank you for a informative and enjoyable evening. I have been an architectural photographer for twenty something years and your seminar has enlightened me on how to offer clients alternative marketing, display and web site design possibilities. I will be very interested in attending any future workshops that you and Nikon might offer – C.B. & K. M.
I really enjoyed the talk you gave, and was fascinated by the capability of both the software and pano heads. When I got home that night, I told my wife that I had seen true magic! Those are powerful tools, and you have personally done some amazing things with them – J. W.
I was lucky enough to attend both your recent seminars at Nikon House. It’s an interest I have had for a long time and I found your seminar most interesting and informative – M. H.
I just wanted to thank you for the two seminars that I attended, I found both seminars very informative and inspiring. Both seminars were very well presented – K. P.
I should like to let you know, how much I enjoyed the talk by Mike Eleftheriades – I found it most inspirational – T. J.
Fast, but a great deal to cover. Excellent friendly manner, presentation by a master of his art – E. C.
Fantastic, a real eye opener! Excellent! – S. H.
Absolutely fascinating – R. J. S.
Travelling to Fitzroy House
the nearest underground station is Warren Street, but please do make sure that it is open – it is occasionally closed on a Saturday – if so, Goodge Street station is a good option.
Subscribe to Nikon Owner and receive £60 discount off the course
Nikon Owner Magazine and Interactive Website is considered by many to be the world’s number 1 user group for Nikon owners. It was initially founded with the purpose of assisting Nikon users to make full use of the Nikon equipment they own, to give advice on a wide spectrum of photographic queries and problems, and at the same time to offer ideas to bring about an increase in photographic skills. Subscription to Nikon Owner magazine and interactive website provides a bridge between theory and practical, technical knowledge and accomplishment. As a subscriber to this group, you will receive an array of offers and assistance, as well as the unique photographic publication, Nikon Owner Magazine.
Nikon Owner standard subscription benefits include:
- Private user name and password to subscribers-only website which includes a lively forum, message board, technical equipment reviews, events’ page and use of a photo gallery.
- Simon Stafford’s Technical Helpline: free technical consultation and support from Simon Stafford who is widely recognized as one of the top Nikon experts in the UK; you will be able to benefit from his formidable knowledge and have all your technical questions fully answered by email. This service is exclusive to Nikon Owner subscribers.
- FREE 3-year warranty on all new Nikon products from Grays of Westminster within your year of subscription.
- FREE 18-month warranty on second-hand Nikon from Grays of Westminster within your year of subscription.
- 10% off Think-Tank bags purchased at Grays of Westminster.
- Special trips: past visits have included a two-week trip to Japan and a personal tour of the Nikon factory, a visit to Nikon Thailand, Angkor Watt, Cambodia.
- Substantial discounts on events and training sessions such as Mike Maloney’s House of Lords Photographic Workshop, Heather Angel’s Wildlife & Natural History Workshops, Chris Weston’s Photographic Courses, Simon Stafford’s Definitive Flash, Portraiture and Macro Seminars.
- 10% off any training courses run by Nikon UK.
- A range of complimentary meetings and outings organized by local Nikon Owner Groups.
The cost of a standard annual subscription to Nikon Owner is currently at the special price of £59. (Quote ME2 59 when you email.)